Things are slowly getting done around here at the Ugly Duckling house. There is still a looooooong list of things to buy and projects to conquer, but those will all come in due time. I don’t want to overwhelm my poor hubby with more weekend of sanding, painting, or tearing out of something around here! And I’ve been so busy with work I haven’t had the time OR the energy to devote to decorating this place. But it will all happen….eventually.
But for now we’ve finished this…..
Our built in entertainment center in our family room! This has provided much needed storage for our many cds (yes we still have those), our video game consoles (we’re all total geeks) and hide away all of my design catalogs for work (my desk is just to the let of this picture). Now to buy a new sectional with the right proportions for the room, so my two lovely blue damask club chairs aren’t awkwardly placed in the room as seen here. It’s TIGHT right now!
And we also FINALLY finished the tile, put up lighting, hung the towel bars and had our custom double medicine cabinet installed in our master bath. I will miss not having a bathtub, but it is what is. And maybe, one day we’ll be able to add onto this room, so I can finally have my beautiful free standing soaking tub. A girl can dream!
This was such a strange bathroom before. And to be honest, it’s still a bit of an awkward little layout. But since we couldn’t knock down and build out, I had to make due with what the space allowed me to do.
Do you remember the before?
The master bathroom remodel was NOT on the original budget for the house renovation! When we went WAY over the budget the hubby gave me, I knew my chances for sneaking in this makeover was going to be a tough one. But we did demo this room along with the rest of the house anyway. We had the dumpster and we were going to fill it! After just a week or so living in the house, he finally caved and said I could finish this room. Thank God!
So here’s what we did:
1. Ripped out the bathroom “island” and replaced with the Kohler Bancroft pedestal sink.
2. Tore out ALL the old tile and replaced with a very inexpensive 2″ marble hex tile that was a FIND! We continued the hex into the shower floor since the space is so small.
3. On the walls of the shower we used Ann Sacks Capriccio tile in creamy white. It has such a beautiful handmade finish to it. We used the blue version in the guest bath. We also added a new custom shower door.
4. Lighting was replaced over the new sink and recessed lights were added to the bath and toilet area.
5. New fan for ventilation was added.
6. New window, moulding and baseboards.
7. Added new faucets for sink and in the shower.
8. New toilet to replace the ugly chipped pink one.
10. Added new glass towel rods, toilet paper holder, glass shelf and a pivot mirror.
And finally, we also had a custom dining room table made in the finish and dimensions I needed to fit this room.
I’m still planning on getting new chairs for the table. These slip covered parsons chairs just aren’t cutting it anymore. I’m still debating between a mix of industrial with wicker, or all wicker, or maybe all director’s chairs. Whatever I choose they have to be COMFORTABLE and allow people to sit around and chat after dinner.
Next up on the household projects is having a window seat cushion made for our master bedroom, installing a shiny new flush mount in our entry area, and adding a dining room chandelier. Stay tuned!